Music plays an important part of my running. It is the difference whether I run or not. Many times, I’ve been ready to start when I discover I forgot my iPod or to charge it. No problem, right? Well...it’s resulted in me cancelling my run. BUT…I can only use an iPOD/music on any run of less than, say, 10 miles. After this, I get frustrated and want silence - no music.
I envy runners that can do a marathon or mega mileage with music. Since I can only use my headphones for the first couple of hours at the most, I always try to make the perfect play list - one that’ll get me off to a good start.
My play lists constantly change (depending on my mood), but, I’ve had the same play list for the last several months and thought I’d share it with you:
1. LCD Soundsystem - Daft Punk Is Playing At My House - I just recently re-discovered this great band - How could I have forgotten about them? If the cowbell doesn’t get you going, nothing will, my friend.
2. Skrillex - Bangarang - This gem made it to my play list thanks to my 16 year old son. I thought he just listened to songs by rappers named lil this, lil that or lil the other. When running to this song at night, I feel like I should have some glow sticks with me or put my headlamp on strobe - I’m ready to rave (whatever that really means).
3. Garbage - Blood For Poppies - I’m a sucker for Shirley Manson’s voice. It’s a little different than most of the earlier Garbage music but it’s an incredible song with incredible music.
4. Cobra Starship - You Make Me Feel. I think this is one of my guilty pleasure songs. It kinda sounds like bubble gum pop (and it may be), but its beat keeps me going and going and going.
5. Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch. Perfect song to come on when I’m feeling sluggish or slow. It gets me going from the first note right down to the last one.
6. R.E.M. - I Walked With A Zombie. Zombie. ‘nuff said.
7. Dave Mathews Band - Crash Into Me - What can I say? This is probably the only ‘slower paced’ song on my iPod that does not slow me down. It actually makes me run…better. I’m getting chills as I type this - this is how much I love this song.
8. Prince - When Doves Cry - Prince is a genius. Luckily, I’m wearing headphones and can’t see others’ reaction to me singing the intro to it, or for that matter, me singing the entire song out loud. Trust me, I am no singer, but great great song to run to.
9. Stevie Ray Vaugh - Tightrope - SRV always finds his way into almost all of my play lists. Air guitar playing while running is strongly encouraged during this song. No shame.
10. Vince Gil - Don’t Let Our Love Stop Slipping Away - Don’t ask.
What's on YOUR playlist???