Friday, April 26, 2013

TIKKA XP 2 Headlamp Review

Being on the hunt for a new headlamp, local running store owner/guru, German Madrazo (of the Valley Running Co.), loaned me a headlamp to check out a few weeks ago. We had a trail night run scheduled for a few days later, so I anxiously awaited trying it out.

It was the TIKKA XP 2 headlamp.

First of all, the specifics for all of us night running nerds:

 - it has a white LED & a red LED
 - 80 lumens of power
 - 3 white lighting modes (high, low and disco...I mean strobe)
 - allows wearer to use long distance beam or flood
 - white light on low level provides up to 190 hrs. of use and high level up to 70 hrs

Going on a little 5 mile trail run at darkfall was a perfect opportunity to try it out.

PROs: It provides quite a bit of light & it is comfortable no matter how big your noggin is. The adjustable band adjusted well and kept it from sliding. The light also allowed to pivot the lamp up/down. The biggest selling point was the re-chargeableness (rechargeable battery option) of it. No more batteries - just usb it & you're ready to go.

CONs:The only concern that I have is not really fair since I haven't checked this out, but I'm curious how long the re-charged battery will last (although it claims up to 70 hours on high) on some of those much longer nite races that may of us will be doing soon. But I guess there's only 1 way to find out.

 Looks good, shines good, feels good...so it must be good. Yep, that's how I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment