Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Runner's Bible: The Running Log

I had several goals at the beginning of the year. One of them was to log 2,000 miles for the year of 2012.

Ill admit, I'm a nerd...I had it all figured out. The way I calculated it, I'd have to average:

166.6 miles per month.
41.7 miles per week.
5.9 miles per day.

The good news: I'm ahead of schedule...by quite a considerable amount.

The bad news: I've been obsessed with averaging these averages.

Due to my compulsion with these numbers, I've kept 2 running logs, you know...in case I lost one. I've got notes in there about how I felt, what I ate, could I have kept going, etc. Plus, I constantly track my progress or lack of it.

Logging my runs is not something new that I've just recently started, I've kept one for a loooong time. I've always run for the sake of running. Let me clarify: I dont just  run  in preparation for a race, not that that's a bad thing - It's just that I've always loved to run just because, so I'm not sure why I even kept a log. I wouldn't look at it - just fill it out and start a new one.

Now, that I am training for something, that log is like my bible. I pretty much take it with me wherever I go. It's become a must 'gadget' for me - more so than my ipod or garmin. I think if I lost it, my life would be over...well, not really, but you get the idea - it's important.

4 comments:

  1. Trainingpeaks.com Keeps logs of exercise, calories, food, and oh sooo much more. It is by far better than keeping two logs....and has smart phonr apps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give it a try, Stevan. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah...ben- then you can have FOUR logs- hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say it like my attention to detail is a bad thing.

      Delete