Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Trying (unsuccessfully) To Keep Up With 13 Year Old Running Machines...

Yesterday, I ran with the Boys/Girls Cross Country teams at the Middle School where I work. It was convenient: I get out at 4pm, and I'm already there. No waiting. No driving. No nothing. It's a great workout, and a shame I don't do it more often.

I think I get a better workout out of it than the boys/girls do, though. At least, I think so because they don't seem to struggle as much as I do. I try to keep up with them more than they with me. I usually ask my co worker (who is their coach) which one is the fastest one. After this, it's all about trying to keep up.

I know they're good for about 3 miles or so, and then they start to tire. As usual, the level of their talent never ceases to amaze me. I always tell them that if they were to keep up their running (and grades), they'll be kicking butt in no time (and I mean it).

Yesterday, I caught them eyeballing my hokas. They thought they were the oddest looking shoes. It was no use describing their comfort. Besides, how pointless is it that I am talking about cushioning to somebody that runs in converse chuck taylors??? It ain't gonna happen.

I'd planned on a nice little slow recovery run after having run almost 18 miles the night before. I was fatigued, my quads felt tight and I just wanted to loosen up, but it didn't quite work out (pun intended) that way. Their Coach had other things in mind.

During my struggle (to keep up), I kept wishing they'd cut corners or stop for a little walking break because I would've been all for it...the walking break - not the cutting of corners, of course, but they weren't having any of that.

So what did I do??? As I ran by my car, I got in and left.

Mistake #1: leaving my car along the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment