Friday, January 4, 2013

A Work In Progress...

It was a crazy 2012.

No, the world didn't end (as predicted) although, there were several times when it sure felt like it.

Those close to me know what I'm talking about. It's still a little too personal to talk about, but perhaps in due time, I will. Not that it's important, now. The important thing now is that I learned from it, and all I can do is move on.

Anyway, I attended some self help classes/groups this past year to help me become more patient, a better parent and (at least attempt to) become a better human being. I continue, to this day, to attend. It wasn't a voluntary thing, by the way. I got called out on some of my shit, stepped back to see if it was true...and it was. It was an eye opening experience.

I admit that my attendance was lip service initially, but I've learned quite a bit and now look forward to it.

What have I learned? Too much to write about, but there was 1 huge thing that has helped the most.

I used to be quite impatient internally. I mean, outwardly nobody could tell I was stressing (at least I think). Internally, I was a mess.

I've learned not to sweat the small stuff. I ask myself a simple question when things don't go my way, or I feel the onset of a stressful situation coming along:  Is it the end of the world??? I've allowed myself to get upset if the answer is yes, but you know what? For the last 8 months, the answer has always been no. Always. Yes, it is that simple.

Don't get me wrong: it's still difficult sometimes, but in the end - its been a difference maker in how I relate to strangers, friends, those close to me and, most importantly, my son.

Happy 2013 running, y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment