Sunday, August 26, 2012

20 (miles) : The Magic Number

"If you don't have answers to your problems after a four-hour run, you ain't getting them."

                                                                             ~ Christopher McDougall


After having gone back to work this past week (after the entire summer off), I was really looking forward to this weekend...I had a long run scheduled - a 20 miler.

There's something magical about 20 miles. Maybe it's the number 20...nice & even. I've always loved a run of this distance, and I don't think I'm the only one.

I was a little worried, though, heading into Saturday. I was still fatigued from my 14 mile bike commute to work (what was I thinking, doing that a few days before my long run?). I also did not eat very well the last few days leading up to the weekend. The last couple of days I felt like I was (as Jackson Browne sings) running on empty. Finally, I hadn't slept very well lately, but what else is new?

But, I got it done.

I ran the 1st 7 miles with some of our running group, iRUN RGV. The next 3 miles I ran with my blood brother, David Z. The next 10 miles were my "me" time. The dreaded (by some) solo run.

I love running with my running friends. The fun, the zaniness, the jokes and the comaraderie. Just as much as I enjoy running with every single 1 of them, I also sometimes enjoy running by myself.

I'm sure I'm not the only 1 that feels running is therapeutic, especially, during a long run. The feeling afterwards is like no other - physically AND mentally. The endorphins. The fatigue. The clear mind.

It's incredible the things that went through my head during my run: what I was going to do this weekend, this coming week, how will my son do in school this year, how will my school year be, etc.

Running alone gives me time clear my head. I use this time to think about what is bothering me (yes, some things bother me). And you know what? After my run, it all felt better.

Coincidence? I think not.

9 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I love running with my friends from my running group, but I actually thoroughly enjoy running by myself. It gives me time to run out the stress from the work week, plan what I'm going to be doing for the next week and just spend time by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with you, healthy. Tell me, anything in particular you are training for?

      Delete
  2. I always run by myself - it is my meditation time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that the shorter distances, I prefer with my friends, but my longer runs are my "me" time. See you saturday, John - although, you'll just be a blur passing by.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Does that mean you're going to join our run club, Emilie?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Cruzers! My new post goes out later this morning & i'll be giving away a Tactical fitness/boot camp week of training. I hope you check it out and comment.

      Delete