Monday, August 6, 2012

Everything's digital ~ I'm still analog.


When my summer began, I decided I was going to read a few books that’d been on my reading wishlist. I figured I had all the time in the world (2 months off, actually), so it was as good of a time as any.

A friend allowed me to borrow her kindle, so I quickly downloaded Born To Run. I had been wanting to read it again (yes, it’s that good) for a while and this was my perfect opportunity. This would be my first attempt at reading an e-book. I say attempt because I only managed to get through a couple of pages. I quickly discovered that reading an e-book is not the same as reading a "traditional book."
I  quickly looked through my closet and found the soft cover version of the book. Much, much better. There’s something about an old book: the smell, the feel of it in your hand, you name it: it’s better than the virtual thing. Flipping the pages with your fingers as I fan my face - ahhhhhhh!!! I love the physicalness of a book.

Besides, why do everything at/from home? There's nothing like going to a bookstore - especially an old bookstore and just spend an hour (or two) looking around for the right book to buy/read.


I don't think I will give the kindle (or any other e-reader) another chance. Some things just do not go out of style. It could be just me, though. I may just be an analog guy in a digital world.

Where do you stand on the e-reader vs book debate? An inquiring mind wants to know.

4 comments:

  1. I'd much rather read the book. I get easily bored reading an ebook, unless it's for class. For the college student, I'd say, ebooks are a better deal. Most of my textbooks are ebooks. They're cheaper.

    I own Born to Run. Duh. I can't imagine myself reading it through kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd tend to agree w/ you, Andy, but I think I'd be too distracted w/ a tablet also. But, yes, economic-wise it might be a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime I see house plans, I find myself always wondering, "which room would make a great Library." I have yet to find a used book store in Mcallen, but in Lubbock I had several that I would visit simply for the smell. I could sit and read in the aisles for hours. The feel of the course pages between your index and your thumb, the sound it makes as you split the pages of another chapter, the smell of old print on antique pages, these are all things that will never compute digitally. It's sad to me to think that perhaps someday this will be lost on a generation. There is more to a book than the words inscribed therein. A book is very much like an organism, the lines of text it's veins pulsing under a readers touch. e-readers are hollow projections, not the shell but the ghost. The consciousness without the soul. I would rather have my books on a shelf than under a pane of glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. The entire time I was writing this, I was thinking how much I miss Austin because of their used bookstores - talk about book bargains.

      Delete