Thursday, August 30, 2012

Insomnia...I've Been Expecting You.

I haven't slept very well this week, but that's not really anything new. I suffer bouts of insomnia. What's new is that I haven't taken any ambien this week.

I try to abstain from sleeping aids the week before a race - even if it means I get very little sleep the entire week. It's odd, but I think I do my best running on very little sleep. It never fails: I feel rested and ready to run on race morning despite sleeping poorly leading up to the run.

Earlier this year, I ran a 50k in Bandera. I drove to the race at midnight, got there at 5am, ran the race (ran a PR, by the way) and drove back home immediately after I finished...and STILL had a difficult time sleeping that night. 5k, 10k, 30k, 60k, 50 miler...same result: no sleep that night.

I like coffee. I really, really like coffee, but on race day (and starting a few days before) I don't drink any. It's even more surprising (to me) that I don't feel tired race day considering I slept very little AND had no coffee.

Nerves leading up to the race? Possibly, but I don't think so. Psychological? Maybe.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to go with it being nerves. I don't know how you do it. You run better with no sleep. For example Hells Hills! You slept two hours and ran 50 miles....that's INSANE! I think you should count your blessings and just keep doing what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. Unless...you know what's causing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my lack of sleep is causing it. Hahahahaha!!!

      Delete