Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Headsweats - Velocity Visor



When I was asked to do a review of the Velocity Visor, I was a little hesitant. I’m a cap guy - always have been.  I’ve never  worn a visor before, but there's a first time for everything, right?

When I got the visor in the mail, I opened it and immediately put it on and checked myself out in the mirror.  Yes, I'm a little vain, but aren't we all? I was still a little unsure, but ready to give it a try.

I’ve used it on 2 runs, and it's nice: lightweight, coolmax fabric, adjustable velcro closure and terry cloth inseam.

Both days that I used the velocity visor the temperatures were between 98 & 100, and the humidity was South Texas brutal (the heat index chart should have a 'South Texas Brutal' section). This is where its best feature came in handy:  the terry cloth really absorbed all the sweat from my head and kept it from going into my eyes.

It'll take a while to get used to the sun hitting the exposed top of my head, but, in fairness, I have a buzzcut, and I always run with a cap - so its never really been exposed to direct sunlight.

It's not uncommon for me to pour water over my head/cap mid-run, so getting it wet was another concern of mine. Not to worry - I ran it under the water to "clean it out," and it looks as good as new.

The only thing stopping me from wearing the velocity visor on a regular basis is the size.  It was a tad too small for my big head, even with the adjustable velcro. I should mention that I wear my caps loose, because the slightest snug fitting cap gives me a headache, so maybe that was part of the problem - I wanted it too loose.

Nevertheless, I'm going to put it in my regular headwear rotation, and, you never know: it might just become one of my faves.

4 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I may need to give visors a chance too, but I'd have to start with caps first. I can't stand wearing anything over my head, but my poor scalp is gonna start falling off soon if I don't start wearing protection over it!

    I prefer something lighter over around my head, like a bandana type. And even then, you'll see the bandana around my hand mid run. I guess I'm a free-hairin' kinda guy. LOL

    But maybe your reviews can change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not as dark as the rest of us, so you can afford to run w/o a cap. LOL
      Wear the bandana around your neck???

      Delete
  2. I'm a cap kind of girl ut..I wouldn't mind trying a visor soon. It may be better for night runs as far as being "cooler". During the day I'd prob feel my head on fire. I buy my caps in the childrens section though wahh. I have a small noggin. I'd def look for something with the sweat band like this Velocity one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my head was on fiya!!!
      I didn't realize how big my noggin was until I could barely wrap it around my head.

      Delete