Thursday, August 2, 2012

If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It???


For the entire time that I’ve been running, I think I can count in one hand the times that I’ve stretched - before or after. I’ve been lucky that I can just hit the ground running (whether it was a 5k or a 50 miler). Get out of my car - start running. Finish running - get in my car. I should also mention that I’ve been lucky to have been injury-free my entire life.

I’ve had to lead a stretching/warm up routine for our running group (because I know they always do), but I think I was just ‘going through the motions.’ As a matter of fact, the few times that I’ve stretched, it has resulted in a little nagging injury - nothing serious but something that ends up bothering me for a few days. In my mind, this tells me - don’t stretch. And , hey, it’s worked for me.

I don’t want new runners to pick up my bad habits, so I have always made my CC runners stretch before and after our workouts and put them through running drills (which I also pass on).  Plus, I don’t want 7th and 8th graders who are just picking up running to get hurt and give it up before they, really, even get started.

I’m not saying that I will never stretch - I do, after all, want to become more limber and/or flexible but I think I’d rather not mix/combine the two.

What are you’re thoughts on stretching before/after a run???

18 comments:

  1. You may be interested in this guy who is very negative on static stretching:
    http://sock-doc.com/2011/04/stop-stretching/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a really interesting read. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I do very little stretching before the run in general. I do try to work on my achilles, and get a quick basic stretch for the muscles, but for the most part most of my stretching comes after the run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. It's interesting to hear how (much or less) others stretch.

      Delete
  3. that's it ben. next time you are here its pilates and bikram yoga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always open to embarrassing myself in trying new things.

      Delete
  4. I always get a niggle if I stretch before I run,but try (if I remember) to stretch after my run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pro-stretch but not militant about it. If you've always done it one way or the other you're probably best continuing that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Bikram - I go 3 times a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bikram sounds very very interesting. Thanks, John.

      Delete
  7. What's stretching?! I think I only stretch my arms in the morning when I wake up. I stretch when I take a step when running. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, yes, yes, i know. when it comes to running, you do everything the opposite - and it works!!!

      Delete
  8. All these doctors are telling me to stretch and stretch for my calf injury....they say I got that way because of my lack of stretching and now that I try to stretch it out I'm getting injured even more......so while I'm confused what to do next, my plan is just to rest....rest and let it unwind itself.....I hate my calves and I hate watching others do what I'm suppose to be doing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest on, but i say continue doing what was working for you all along. Hope you're better soon so you can join us on some of the runs!!!

      Delete
  9. Nice gif representation Ben!

    I totally love it when we go on smaller group runs because I hate stretching.
    I mean, it's alright I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Word, Andy!!!
      but you know how it is, the mob rules!!!

      Delete