Friday, August 17, 2012

Me And My Garmin...Has Our Relationship Come to an End?



I’ve always loved my Garmin. I used to have a giant-oversized one. I think it was the Garmin 305. It was so big that people would ask me what that thing on my wrist was or why was I wearing a laptop on my wrist - you name it: I heard ‘em all. Non-running people, at least, would ask or make those jokes. I’m sure all you running nerds know what I’m talking about and can relate.

About 2 years ago, I "upgraded" and purchased the Garmin 110. It looked sleeker and looked to have everything I could want: pace, distance & time. Nothing more - nothing less. Like a minimalist GPS watch. When I’m running, all I need to know is how fast I’m going, how far I’ve gone and what my time is.

The biggest reason I switched models was because the 110 was smaller, and I could wear it as a regular watch all the time. Simply put: it looked like any other watch anybody wears. I remember thinking: "Eureka, I have found it!" WRONG.

I’m so glad that I purchased the replacement plan/warranty. DISCLAIMER: I actually had to pay for the replacement plan again after the 1st time I exchanged it - apparently, the warranty is voided when exchanged. Nice.

I’m on my 3rd exchange within 2 years. Today, was the last straw. This morning, it was dead. - it wouldn’t turn on. I didn’t exchange it for another model because the limited selection they had was really pricey, so I simply exchanged it for the same model (yes, again, but for the last time).

The same problem plagued all 3 watches. Before I tell you what that was, let me admit something: I’m a running nerd. I always upload my runs to nerd-out to them; study them, evaluate them, the elevation (or lack of it), I ran too slow, I ran too fast, the tempo was fine, I fartleked here - you name it.

But I regress…slowly but surely, Mr. Garmin stopped uploading my runs. I would clean the metal prongs/clips, give it some TLC, but it would still happen. I might be ok being unable to upload and view my runs, but the one I just returned simply stopped charging.

I guess the Garmin 110 is an ok watch if uploading runs is not a big issue for you. It has no bells and whistles - just the time/pace/distance. It's pretty low maintenance (like me) - just press start when your run begins and press stop when your run ends. It might do the trick if you’re a newbie runner interested in a no-frills watch and/or don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for a fancy GPS watch. Keep in mind, though, that (in my experience) my previous one would no longer charge.

As for me, this will be my last garmin (at least until it dies out again). I’ll probably spend a little more for a more durable/reliable watch/model. I’ve got time to convince myself that it’s for my running and I deserve it - the same way I had to convince myself that I needed to dish out the big bucks for my Hokas - which are working out great, by the way.

So between know and then I’ll on the lookout for a new GPS watch. Know of any good ones?

14 comments:

  1. You should have stuck with the laptop! Mine (knocking on wood) has not failed me. I heart my laptop / Garmin. :)
    Try the Nike one Map has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the nike watch but it just wasn't calling out to me. I figure i've got about 5 months before this 1 dies out - right around rocky. LOL

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Garmin 110, and mine too puttered out and FROZE. My dog subsequently ate the strap, so now I'm Garmin-less and trying to figure out which way to go next. I love the simplicity of the 110, but I'm not too thrilled with its durability thus far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its simplicity is what attracted me to it, initially, Lacy. The funny thing is that i wrote this before I took it out of the box. I've done that now and guess what: it's being fickle about charging. the new 1 - straight out of the box.

      Delete
  4. as you know... I have the 405 and had to return it once- and i hardly use it. Have the 910...still in the box. Both are on my dining room table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you also had the 910. I hope you keep me in mind if you ever wanna get rid of it.

      Delete
  5. http://sites.garmin.com/fenix/#features

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I really like it, but it's pricey - 400$. I'll have to keep that 1 in mind definately.

      Delete
  6. I call my 305 the toaster, but it has not failed me in over 4 years. It will only last for about 5 hours on a charge, but for now that will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when gadgets last a while - as they should. Mine lasts about 8 hours. I know several runners w/ the 305 that totally love it.

      Delete
  7. I love my 310xt and REI has a trade-in for $50, see http://www.rei.com/pdf/rebates/GOTR-Rebate.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Thanks for the link!!! I've only been into REI a couple of times when i've gone to ATX. I love that store.

      Delete
    2. Yep. I have to agree, the 310XT has been my all-time favorite Garmin model. I don't know about the 910. I'll use it until it's dead. No upload issues.

      Delete